The Naples Philharmonic Youth Jazz Orchestra (NPYJO) celebrates its third year in 2017-18. Nearly 20 students from Lee and Collier county have auditioned and been accepted to participate in the newest student ensemble.
The NPYJO is an educational ensemble that has grown out of the success of the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra and the All That Jazz series. Led by Dan Miller, trumpeter for the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra, the NPYJO will study the repertoire and arrangements of jazz greats, such as Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Horace Silver, Thelonious Monk and Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers. Students will also study jazz improvisation, small group arranging and original jazz composition techniques.
2017-18 Youth Jazz Orchestra Schedule
2017-18 season concerts will be announced this summer
Naples Philharmonic Youth Jazz Orchestra Director
Wednesday, September 6, 2017
Hayes Hall at Artis—Naples
Auditions must be scheduled in advanced. The fee for the audition is $15 for those who are not currently a member of other youth ensemble groups at Artis—Naples. For more information or to schedule an audition, please email the Youth Ensembles Coordinator at YouthJazzOrchestra@artisnaples.org.
Students will be asked to improvise over a medium tempo B-flat concert blues:
- Trombone, piano, guitar, bass, vibraphone: B-Flat blues
- Trumpet and tenor saxophone: C blues
- Alto and baritone saxophone: G blues
Student should prepare a solo piece of choice. Examples include:
- Play the melody and/or improvise on a standard tune
- Play the melody and/or improvise on a jazz original
- Play the melody on a ballad
- Play a solo transcription
- Play a jazz etude
Rhythm Section Addendum (piano, guitar, bass, drums):
- Piano and guitar will be asked to comp and create own voicings from chord changes (not required to participate)
- Bass will be asked to walk and create own bass line from chord changes (not required to participate)
- Drums are asked to demonstrate swing and Latin styles (bossa nova and Afro-Cuban)