The Naples Philharmonic Youth Jazz Orchestra (NPYJO) celebrates its fourth year in 2018-19. Nearly 20 students from Lee and Collier county have auditioned and been accepted to participate in the newest student ensemble.
The NPYJO is an educational ensemble that has grown out of the success of the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra and the All That Jazz series. Led by Dan Miller, trumpeter for the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra, the NPYJO will study the repertoire and arrangements of jazz greats, such as Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Horace Silver, Thelonious Monk and Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers. Students will also study jazz improvisation, small group arranging and original jazz composition techniques.
2018-19 Youth Jazz Orchestra Schedule
December 16, 2018 • 3pm
March 6, 2019 • 7pm
May 22, 2019 • 7pm
Naples Philharmonic Youth Jazz Orchestra Director
The Naples Philharmonic Youth Jazz Orchestra is sponsored by a generous gift from Marie and Bill Pastore.
Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 3:30-5:30pm
Hayes Hall at Artis—Naples
Auditions must be scheduled in advance. The fee for the audition is $15 for those who are not currently a member of other youth ensemble groups at Artis—Naples. The NPYJO accepts students between the ages of 12 and 17. To register for an audition, please follow the audition registration link provided above. For additional information, please email YouthJazzOrchestra@artisnaples.org.
Students will be asked to improvise over a medium tempo B-flat concert blues:
- Trombone, piano, guitar, bass, vibraphone: B-Flat blues
- Trumpet and tenor saxophone: C blues
- Alto and baritone saxophone: G blues
Student should prepare a solo piece of choice. Examples include:
- Play the melody and/or improvise on a standard tune
- Play the melody and/or improvise on a jazz original
- Play the melody on a ballad
- Play a solo transcription
- Play a jazz etude
Rhythm Section Addendum (piano, guitar, bass, drums):
- Piano and guitar will be asked to comp and create own voicings from chord changes (not required to participate)
- Bass will be asked to walk and create own bass line from chord changes (not required to participate)
- Drums are asked to demonstrate swing and Latin styles (bossa nova and Afro-Cuban)