Fall auditions are now closed.
Fall auditions for the 2021-22 Season are now closed. Please check back at a later date for more information about auditions for the 2022-23 Season.
The NPYJO accepts students between the ages of 12 and 17. For additional information, please email YouthJazzOrchestra@artisnaples.org.
Students will be asked to improvise over a medium tempo B-flat concert blues:
- Trombone, piano, guitar, bass, vibraphone: B-Flat blues
- Trumpet and tenor saxophone: C blues
- Alto and baritone saxophones: G blues
Students should prepare a solo piece of choice. Examples include:
- Play the melody and/or improvise on a standard tune
- Play the melody and/or improvise on a jazz original
- Play the melody on a ballad
- Play a solo transcription
- Play a jazz etude
Rhythm Section Addendum (piano, guitar, bass, drums):
- Piano and guitar will be asked to comp and create own voicings from chord changes (not required to participate)
- Bass will be asked to walk and create own bass line from chord changes (not required to participate)
- Drums are asked to demonstrate swing and Latin styles (bossa nova and Afro-Cuban)
Annual tuition for the Naples Philharmonic Youth Jazz Orchestra is $275. The one-time music fee is $35. Some scholarships are available.
The Naples Philharmonic Youth Jazz Orchestra (NPYJO) celebrates its seventh year in 2021-22. Nearly 20 students from Lee and Collier counties participate in the NPYJO each season, where they learn jazz techniques and styles in a Big Band setting.
The NPYJO is an educational ensemble that has grown out of the success of the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra and the All That Jazz series. Led by Dan Miller, trumpeter for the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra, the NPYJO studies the repertoire and arrangements of jazz greats such as Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Horace Silver, Thelonious Monk and Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers.
Naples Philharmonic Youth Jazz Orchestra Director